With so many churches struggling to engage young people and with increasing pressure on young people to reject Christianity completely, it’s encouraging to be a part of our church where young people are both present and growing in their relationship with Jesus.
As the Youth Minister at our church, I love seeing our young people step up to serve, share their faith with their friends and seek to apply God’s word to every part of their lives.
It was a privilege to spend a whole weekend with some of our youth at Camp Crave in March this year. Much fun was had and big steps of faith were taken.
Here are a few things to be aware of heading into Term 2:
- Parents! Check out Parents’ Blog and sign up for our email updates. It’s the best and most up-to-date way to keep in touch with what’s happening with youth at our church as well as parenting insights (access it via stjohnsdc.info).
- Youth Unite. We’re hosting this excellent regional youth event for churches all throughout the northern suburbs. Keep the night of May 11 free.
- Life Groups. We estimate we have around 35 youth engaging with our church on a regular basis. We would love all of them to be part of a life group where they can make friends, be mentored by adult Christians and study the bible together in a safe and welcoming atmosphere. Sadly, only about half our youth are members of a Life Group. If you’re not in one (or your children aren’t) I encourage you to carve out the time each week to make it happen, do not hesitate to contact me if you need help getting involved.
- Sunday@6 Dinners. At our Sunday@6 service we love to gather together for dinner, enjoying some quality food and socialising. Dinner is served at 5pm. Here are the term 2 dates: April 22, May 6, May 20, June 3, June 17.
- Free Maths Tutoring. Runs from 3:30-5pm on the same dates that we host Sunday@6 dinners (see above).
As the Youth Minister, I see my role as helping youth, and their families, engage with Jesus. If I can help you or your family to start doing that, or to improve at doing that, please get in touch.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 9438 1264